Friday, May 11, 2007

Getting Ready for Mother's Day

Mother's Day is coming up soon, and I hope that brings up for you happy memories and joyous expectations.

If instead the thoughts of Mother's Day and later on Father's Day fill you with dread, perhaps this Forgiveness Prayer would prove helpful to you. I do not know the source of this prayer, as it was handed to me typed out on a piece of paper.


A Forgiveness Prayer


Lord, I don't know how to make forgiveness happen.
I can't cleanse my heart or change my feelings.
I don't know how to trust,
and I'm afraid to hold my heart open.
But today I'm making a choice to forgive.
I know I'll have to choose again and again
until you make forgiveness real and complete in me.
Please God, give me the willingness and strength
to persevere in choosing until forgiveness
is accomplished in me by Your power.


I choose to forgive my father for . . .
I choose to forgive my mother for . . .
I choose to forgive ________ for . . .
Forgive me for all my sinful responses.


O God, I let go of all resentments and bitterness
stored up in my heart.
Wash me clean.
Forgive me for all the condemning judgments I have made.
Give me a new and right spirit that will help enable me
to look with Your compasson and love upon sinners,
including myself.
Heal the wounded heart of the child within me.
Pour Your love in.
Bless those who wounded me.


Forgive me, Lord, for projecting childish pictures
of my parents onto You, and onto others,
especially those I love.
Bring those pictures to death.
Bring my childish ways and expectations to death.
Let Your light shine
into all the hidden places of my heart.
Enlighten the eyes of my heart, Lord,
to see You and love You as You really are,
and to walk in Your ways.
In Jesus Name, Amen.


I hope this will help you in your relationships with all those close to you.


In peace,


Linda +
The Rev. Linda McCloud
Founding Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek

1 comment:

King of Peace said...

I was told that the original source was Christian Healing Ministries in Jacksonville. I have not been able to validate that, but it does seem like material from them.

peace,
Frank+