Thursday, May 3, 2007

Evangelistic Hummingbirds


Evangelism has been defined as "one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread." I think it could also be defined as "inviting your friends to the feast." That being the case, I believe I live amongst some evangelistic hummingbirds. That is, I believe they are inviting their friends to the feast.

When I first put out two hummingbird feeders in late March, the food lasted for more than a month. On Sunday of this week the feeders were almost empty, so I refilled them to the brim. By Wednesday one feeder was completely empty and the other was a little over half full, so I refilled the empty one. Maybe another maxim applies: If you fill the feeder, they will come.

I have noticed a lot of hummingbird activity out there lately. Not that they are swarming or anything but just about any time I care to take note, there are hummingbirds humming and chirping. I love it when they fill their straw-like beaks and then tilt their little heads back to drink the nectar, some of them showing ruby throats.

See how easy evangelism is? Simply invite your friends to the feast that is the Church gathered to worship. God will show up to feast with us.


In peace,

Linda +
The Rev. Linda McCloud
Founding Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek

No comments: