Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Death, Resurrection and Pirates

Ahoy! This is not a pirate ship
photo by Linda McCloud+


On this first weekend of summer I went to see the new Disney blockbuster film "Pirates of the Caribbean." I believe this is the third such film to be released and if I may play movie critic for a moment I suspect that this will be the last. It felt as though I was back in my elementary school cafeteria and it was Friday. That was the day that the cooks cleaned out the freezers and served us a combination of foods that did not always seem to go together.

Likewise I suspected that the actors made up this movie as they went along. It seemed to me that they used every gimmick they had left over while the "pirates" still had the gold and black caps on their teeth. Some of it was good fun. I must give them credit for some amazing special effects with the ocean scenes, which frankly kept me in my seat for almost three hours.

That being said, resurrection from death is a recurring theme in this movie and at times it is difficult to tell who is dead and who is alive. The best line on this subject is something like: "Dying is not the hard part. Coming back from the dead is the hard part."

Somewhere in there I find a theological truth, except that coming back from the dead is not something we can do on our own, as they do in the movie. God will raise us from the dead, and that won't be difficult for God.


In peace,


Linda +

The Rev. Linda McCloud
Founding Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek

No comments: