Monday, December 18, 2006

Why Do We Climb Mountains?

Experienced mountain climbers would answer, "because they are there." I think they downplay their excitement so the rest of us won't envy their sheer exhiliaration of seeing the world from a whole new perspective. We hear from time to time that persons with physical handicaps climb mountains. I am totally impressed with their courage and resolve. They deserve to breathe that rarified air.

From my limited experience with climbing Kennesaw Mountain or Stone Mountain in Georgia, I would say I climbed because I like the view from up there. Also, there is usually a good little breeze that is pretty refreshing in the summertime. A few years ago my sister and I climbed as far as we were allowed to go up the side of Mount Ranier in Washington State. I like to remember our snowball fight on the Fourth of July.

Those who climb mountains such as Mount Hood in Oregon might get a chuckle that I would call my Georgia or Washington climbing experiences "mountain climbing." The search parties who found the dead climber in Oregon said, "The climbers began ascending the 11,235-foot (3,423-meter) Mount Hood on December 7. Their last known position was about 1,000 feet below the summit, based on a signal from a cell phone picked up early on Tuesday morning." God bless them. We pray that the others may be found. They all accepted the challenge of the mountain.

So far I have not seen any mountains to climb in Camden County, but we don't have to go to Patagonia or the Northwestern United States for an exciting challenge. We have the challenge of planting of The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek. We can all climb that mountain together, enjoy the view, and breathe the rarified air. Why will we do that? Because it's there.


Pastor Linda
The Rev. Linda McCloud
Founding Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek
oursaviorhoneycreek.blogspot.com

No comments: