Saturday, December 2, 2006

One of A Thousand Places

Wild horses on Cumberland IslandSome time ago I treated myself to a delicious 974-page book – 1,000 Places To See Before You Die, A Traveler’s Life List by Patricia Schultz (New York: Workman Publishing, 2003).

As it turns out, Ms. Schultz has excellent taste. That is to say, I had actually been to some of those same places and I also thought they were not to be missed. To my delight, our beloved State of Georgia gets four of the one thousand entries, three of which are in Savannah.

The fourth Georgia entry is (a little drum roll, please) “The Golden Islands.” In this entry Ms. Schultz devotes almost two pages to the history and wonders of
Cumberland Island, Jekyll Island, St. Simons, and Little St. Simons, dropping a few names in the process. She suggests that we visit the Lodge on Little St. Simons because “The food is fresh, simple, delicious, and evocative of the Southern childhood you never had.” (p.612)

On the grounds of Honey CreekAs I read this book I felt a little sad for Ms. Schultz, because she did not mention The Georgia Episcopal Conference Center at Honey Creek. Evidently she has never visited there, or else her book would be called 1,001 Places To See Before You Die.

Pastor Linda
The Rev. Linda McCloud
Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek
www.oursaviorhoneycreek.org





No comments: