Thursday, December 7, 2006

Experience the Bible


There's a hot new audio product on the market entitled "The Bible Experience." It is a dramatic reading of the New Testament and part of the Old Testament, starring the voices of nearly 200 pop culture people such as Denzel Washington. I downloaded the advertisement and listened. It is truly an amazing work, with appropriate music in the background. I have never actually heard an angel speak, but Angela Bassett sounds convincing as the angel who appears to Joseph in a dream and tells him it's OK to marry Mary.

I hope that many people will buy "The Bible Experience" and enjoy letting the Bible sink into their souls. I wish that everyone knew more about the Bible.

In the Episcopal Church, we read aloud four portions of Scripture at every service of Holy Communion. That is, we read an Old Testament lesson, a Psalm or portion of a Psalm, an Epistle lesson, and a portion of one of the Gospels. I like to think that in the Episcopal Church, we experience the Bible. If you come to services at an Episcopal Church you will hear the Bible read through in a systematic and sensible way.

When I took my priestly vows, I stated: "I do believe the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to be the Word of God, and to contain all things necessary to salvation . . ." I am all for anyone getting a megadose of the Holy Bible.

"Blessed Lord, who caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning: Grant us so to hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that we may embrace and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life, which you have given us in our Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen." [The Book of Common Prayer, p. 236]

If we do as this prayer suggests, we will experience the Bible.


Pastor Linda
The Rev. Linda McCloud
Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek

No comments: