Monday, April 9, 2007

Building Bridges Takes Time

This afternoon I had a pleasant surprise. A stretch of road that is usually reduced to one lane with orange barrels was open in both lanes. After I zipped across the spot I always dread, I noticed that I had done so with a lane beside me to spare.

I had been listening to a really good CD by Anonymous 4, but I snapped back to reality when I realized what had happened. I had crossed a new bridge. I have been traveling that section of highway off and on for a couple of years, and it has always been slow and go through the construction. With the new bridge, crossing that spot was a breeze. No wonder the construction took so long. Building bridges takes time.

Cultivating good relationships also takes time, but the results can be extremely rewarding. Our acts of kindness can build bridges to each other and to the wider world. In the interim period, we can look for slow and go and maybe even some orange barrels.


Pastor Linda

The Rev. Linda McCloud
Founding Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek
www.oursaviorhoneycreek.org

No comments: