Monday, March 5, 2007

Neighborly Neighbors


















This dead tree near my home used to be occupied almost solely by Cormorants. I have counted as many as seventeen at a time. Now, Wood Storks and Cormorants roost in the same tree almost every evening. They have become neighborly neighbors. I never see them fighting or jockeying for position on any certain limb.




If I get too close with a camera, the Wood Storks move to another tree, but the Cormorants stay firmly in place. Maybe they don't mind the fact that I am in some sense their neighbor. Or maybe they are so busy being birds that they are oblivious to my presence. Either way, we humans could take a lesson from these big birds about sharing space. Think about this the next time someone gets on your limb of the dead tree.



Pastor Linda
The Rev. Linda McCloud
Founding Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek

No comments: