Tuesday, December 18, 2007

For the sake of the Gospel

One week from today, families will gather to celebrate the birth of the Prince of Peace. Our world has never been a very peaceful place, but the Gospel of Jesus Christ remains the gold standard for harmony, justice, and ethical treatmet of every human being.

That is why this prayer by E. Glenn Hinson is pertinent to our Christmas celebrations with family, wherein there might be conflict simmering under the surface of all the trimmings of the season.

"For the sake of the gospel," O God, that is my plea.

For the sake of the gospel help me to lay aside all pettiness and meanness of spirit.

For the sake of the gospel let me find ways to overcome conflict and divisions.Yet for the sake of the gospel may I not substitute what is not gospel for the gospel or compromise the gospel out of fear or betray the gospel out of self-interest.

For the sake of the gospel help me to stand fast for the gospel.
For the sake of the gospel help me to be faithful to the gospel.

And, finally, O God, for the sake of the gospel enable me, above all, to distinguish what is gospel from what is not the gospel.

For the sake of the gospel enable me to discern the line I must never cross.

For the sake of the gospel enable me to know when to yield and when to stand fast.

Through Jesus Christ, your gospel, Amen.



In peace,
Linda+

The Rev. Linda McCloud
Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek
http://www.oursaviorhoneycreek.org/
http://oursaviorhoneycreek.blogspot.com/
912-267-0333

No comments: