Saturday, November 25, 2006

Three Little Words

Yesterday I went grocery shopping, driven by fear of mutinous behavior on the part of my kitten if I let her food supply run low. I don't know why I had put it off. I actually like to go grocery shopping. Or at least I like to be in the marketplace where I can say hi to some neighbors and friends in a neutral environment.

Did you ever notice how much you can learn about your friends and neighbors if you run into them at the grocery store? This is where you see people in their ratty old college sweatshirts, or in t-shirts emblazoned with the logo of their favorite sports team. Oh, the knowledge we gain about each other in such places! You might even find out if they like brussels sprouts or cilantro. It's really a good place to build relationships a little at a time.

Before I could leave the store I simply had to visit the candy aisle for a bag of my favorite little squares of chocolate -- the kind that contain so much cocoa that one piece is a whole dessert. When I arrived at that aisle it was blocked by two women who were obviously glad to see each other, and had important business to discuss. I did not mean to eavesdrop, but they were blocking my chocolates so I hung around until they moved their shopping carts. It seems that these two ladies attend the same church and were discussing some special event they were working on together. As they parted company, one said to the other those three little words that are music to the ears of every priest and pastor: "See you Sunday."

I can't wait for the day when I will be at a grocery store or post office and hear someone from The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek say to me, "See you Sunday."

Pastor Linda
The Rev. Linda McCloud
Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior
www.oursaviorhoneycreek.org
Linda McCloud+

No comments: