Wednesday, February 27, 2008

George Herbert (1593-1633)


Today is the feast day of George Herbert, best known for The Country Parson and The Temple. George turned away from a promising career as a Member of Parliament to become a country parson. He also wrote prose and poetry that has endured.

Here is a sample:

The Sun arising in the East,
Though he give light, and th' East perfume;
If they should offer to contest
With thy arising, they presume.

or this:

The Country Parson values Catechizing highly: for there being three points of his duty, the one, to infuse a competent knowledge of salvation in every one of his Flock; the other, to multiply, and build up this knowledge, to a spiritual Temple; the third, to inflame this knowledge, to press, and drive it to practice, turning it to reformation of life, by pithy and lively exhortations; Cathechizing is the first point, and but by Cathechizing, the other cannot be attained.

or this, my favorite of all George Herbert' writings (Hymn No. 387, The Hymnal 1982):

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life;
such a way as gives us breath;
such a truth as ends all strife;
such a life as killeth death.

Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength;
such a light as shows a feast;
such a feast as mends in length;
such a strength as makes his guest.

Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart;
such a joy as none can move;
such a love as none can part;
such a heart as joys in love.


Here's a quiz: Which President of the United States was named after this man?


In peace,
Linda+

The Rev. Linda McCloud
Pastor
The Episcopal Church of Our Savior at Honey Creek
http://www.oursaviorhoneycreek.org/
http://oursaviorhoneycreek.blogspot.com/
912-267-0333

No comments: